Dear Boo and Bubble,
Today I’m thinking about your great uncle Bryant, who was my
older brother. (He’s the one you’re
named for, Bubble.) You will never know
him because he’s been gone for quite a while now. But
it’s very important that you know something of him as he was an amazing person. Of the three children in our family, Bryant
was the most serious. Actually, I think
the adjective most appropriate was soulful.
Although he had plenty of playfulness in him, he was more contemplative
and sensitive, even as a little boy.
Alex, you are now a big brother and it’s a tremendous
responsibility from what I’ve observed.
You’ll be the one to pave the way for Bubble because you’ll be the one
that teaches your parents what they need to know about raising children. This makes it so much easier on your sibling. And Bubble will always hold you in awe
because you’re the one with the advantage of experience in navigating life’s
pitfalls. You’ll be the one to whom he
is compared; the explainer; the example-setter. Most importantly, you’ll be his protector.
I was two years younger, almost to the day, and totally adored
Bryant. His name was too hard for me to
pronounce, so I called him “Bye.” Our
father teasingly expanded this nickname to “Bynie Beenie, Tipsy Teeny, Apple
Jack, John Squeeny” which Bryant quietly disdained, but stoically accepted –
that is, until the first grade. Mother
had occasion to go to his school one morning and she took me along. When we arrived, Bryant’s class was on recess
out into the play yard. Mother and I
went there and when I spotted Bryant across the yard, started yelling “Bye,
Bye, we’re here!!” He totally ignored
me.
I went running around after him. “Bye, Bye, here I am!” He shot across the play yard as far away from
me as he could get.
That evening when we were sitting around the dinner table,
mother asked him why he wouldn’t play with me.
His liquid brown eyes took on a stern cast and his countenance signaled
that what he was about to say was probably as important as anything he had ever
said. “My name is Bryant and she calls me Bye. I don’t want anyone to call me
Bye.”
No matter what I had to call him, I still relished being
with him, sometimes to the point of being a pest I’m sure. One day, Bryant was outside playing with some
of the boys of University Ridge, the apartment complex where we lived. I fretted to mother that they wouldn’t let me
join in. She called Bryant over and told
him to include me in their game or he’d have to stop and come inside.
Somewhat triumphantly, I ran out the door and immersed
myself in the group. Bryant approached
and called the boys aside. They huddled
for a few minutes, then Bryant came over to me and said, “Okay, Beth, we’re
going to play cowboys and Indians……and you’re going to be the cowboy.” **(Please
see the footnote.)
I was elated. Not
only was I getting to play, but I was a significant part of the game.
“Okay, run now. We’ll
give you a head start and then we’ll capture you.”
I took off as fast as I could, squealing with delight. The boys followed, whooping and hollering
like the Indians they pretended to be.
In short order, they caught up with me and grabbed my arms and marched
me over to a sandbox dad had built for us off a ways from the back stoop of our
unit. It was shaded by a couple of
trees.
“What should we do with her?” Bryant asked the group.
“Tie her up. Tie her
up!” They responded.
They took a rope and tied me to one of the trees on the side
that hid me from the view to our apartment.
“We’ll deal with her later.
It’s time to go before the cavalry gets here!” They raced away out of sight, beating their
mouths with their hands, laughing hilariously.
I stood there, arms secured behind my back around the tree,
all aglow with the excitement of participating.
Time passed, but I didn’t mind. The Indians would be back soon and we’d
continue the game. More time
passed. The sunlight coming through the
tree began to diminish. Still I waited
patiently, secure in the knowledge that my older brother was out there
somewhere as the Indian Chief leading his braves against the cavalry.
At dusk, the mosquitoes came out and virtually had their way
with me since I didn’t have the use of my hands to swat at them. It never occurred to me to yell for
help. My older brother would be there
any minute.
Meanwhile, inside our apartment, dad had come home from work
and mother busied herself fixing dinner.
She set the table and brought the food out from the kitchen.
“Dinner’s served,” she announced, at which point Dad AND
BRYANT appeared and took their seats.
As mother slid her chair out, she asked “Where’s Beth?”
Bryant must have spewed his food all over the table as he
realized he had totally forgotten about me tied to the tree. He bolted up and out the back door, mother
and dad close behind. There I was, faithfully fulfilling my role as the cowboy
albeit looking somewhat like I had the chicken pox with all of the mosquito bites.
Although I’m sure Bryant went without his dinner that night,
my reverence for him never wavered. From
that point on, he took his role as my big brother very seriously and he
fulfilled it with masterful aplomb. To
the day he died, I looked up to him and found some sort of steadiness in his
presence. Yes, Boo, being a big brother
will be quite a responsibility. But,
you’ll do fine. I can already tell.
**(For a bit of
orientation, please understand that this story happened before the advent of
modern day entertainment. We had no computers
so there was no Plum Vision or Thomas the Train or Sponge Bob Squarepants. Nor had our movies evolved into the likes of
Star Trek, Star Wars, or Avatar. There
weren’t even any forerunners to Nintendo, X-Box or Wii. It was a simpler time
and many of the shows we watched were called “Westerns” – stories about the
settlement of the great western part of our nation which was the home to Native
Americans or Indians. Everybody rode
horses to get around and cowboys were called such because they corralled cattle
out on the plains. As children, we would
pretend to be cowboys and Indians, straddling imaginary horses and galloping
around as if we truly were riding the magnificent creatures.
Much of the historic
interaction between Indians and cowboys was unpleasant. The U.S. Army, known as the cavalry, was
dispatched to defeat the Indians and take the land. It is a vital yet disturbing part of our
history that you should study.)
No comments:
Post a Comment