Dear Boo and Bubble,
Like all churches in the late 1940’s and early ‘50’s, First
Baptist’s building was not air conditioned.
Its thick stucco-covered brick walls offered sufficient insulation for
the most part and the stained glass windows in the sanctuary blunted the sun’s
impact during the 11:00 AM services.
But, it could still get hot on occasion, a condition which required some
sort of solution.
On the back of each pew, tucked in between the Bibles,
hymnals, collection envelopes and pencils, were paddle fans made of compressed
pieces of cardboard glued to wooden sticks about the thickness of a tongue
depressor. These fans not only served as tools for
beating the heat, they also helped spread the Gospel. Pictures of Jesus graced both sides – one of
him knocking on the door, the other holding a lamb.
Even as a toddler, great granddaddy Schaefer and Mamaw Mary
took me to the worship services in the sanctuary. (Had a nursery been
available, I imagine they would have forgone the pleasure.) An hour’s time can
challenge the best behavior of most adults, much less someone between your two
ages. When I got to the point of squirming
so bad Mamaw thought I might crawl under the pew, she would reach for a Jesus
fan and hand it to me. The colorful
pictures fascinated me. I would run my
fingers over them in great reverence.
Mamaw would whisper to me about how I was like the little lamb….a little
lamb named Beth…before I knew it, the service ended.
Out of necessity, Mamaw and Granddaddy also hauled me along
to Wednesday night prayer meetings. First Baptist held its prayer meetings in
the small auditorium located in the basement of the main building adjacent to
the rear of the sanctuary. The actual
“meeting” followed some sort of meal like a spaghetti dinner or pancake
supper. It allowed the preacher an
additional weekly opportunity to bolster his flock with a message of redemption
undiluted by the trappings of the Sunday services. People sat in folding chairs at the tables
where they ate. There might be one song
accompanied by piano, a prayer and then his remarks.
On a particular Wednesday night, when I was no more than
three, we found ourselves at the prayer meeting. It was in the summer and, even though the sun
had set, its residual heat left the church pretty uncomfortable. In anticipation of that fact, a basket full
of paddle fans sat in the center of each table.
As the preacher started his comments, granddaddy held me in
his lap. Before long, however, I became
fidgety. He tried bouncing me on his
knee and then turning me onto my stomach crosswise to his legs and bouncing
some more. Nothing seemed to calm me. At
the point of my bowed-back writhing, he became desperate.
Granddaddy noticed the basket of fans. Thinking of how they worked so well before on
Sundays, he reached for one and handed it to me. I took it with interest expecting to see
Jesus at the door and with the lamb.
Alas, there were no pictures, just writing advertising the local funeral
home. I inspected the fan carefully,
flipping it over and over in my hand.
This momentary preoccupation gave Granddaddy the false sense that he had
solved the problem.
The preacher began driving home his point…..I continued to
ponder the fan. He slowly and
methodically built up oratorical steam until he came to a dramatic crescendo of
silence……at which point I yelled out in grave concern “WHERE’S JESUS!”
Since no one but granddaddy had any context, the question
took on a quite plaintive air. The
preacher, who had inhaled extra oxygen in order to make his climactic point,
blew out the exhale and could only muster “Well, now, that’s a good question,”
which brought uproarious laughter from everyone. Whatever point he intended to make became
irrelevant.
Boys, I would never presume that my childlike supplication
had any prophetic qualities. However, as
I’ve gotten older and observed everything that happens in our world on a daily
basis at every level of interaction, I will admit - it was then and always will
be a good question.
No comments:
Post a Comment