Monday, March 17, 2014

She Can See You Even When She Can't See You


Dear Boo and Bubble,

Captain and I were talking the other day about your great grandfather Cottrell and his two brothers, Emmett and Sidney. I remarked how I had never heard a negative story about any of them to which Captain replied, “But, they were boys, you know......and boys will be boys.”

I guess since I'm not a boy, I can't fully grasp this concept – that just because you happen to be a boy, you're predisposed to getting into mischief. I surely hope that's not the case with the two of you! It got me thinking about great granddaddy Schaefer and I can only remember one story he told on himself about such things.

When he was little, your great, great grandmother Mattie found herself to be a single mom. She took granddaddy and his sister, Katherine, and moved in with Mamie Peninah - your triple-great grandmother about whom I've written in previous posts. Mattie enrolled in secretarial school to learn shorthand and typing in hopes of find employment.

Every morning, she left the house after breakfast and walked a little ways down the street to the bus stop to catch a ride into town for her classes. Granddaddy watched her until she made it to the stop, then he sneaked out the back door of the house into a field behind where he met up with the neighborhood gang. They spent their time gathering up Rabbit Tobacco and smoking it.

In the evenings, Mattie returned. Upon taking one look at Granddaddy, she'd say “Schaefer.....you've been smoking Rabbit Tobacco. You get upstairs right this minute and stay there. No supper for you tonight. And I better not catch you doing it again!”

This totally befuddled granddaddy. How could she know? He saw her walk all the way down to the bus stop. It was impossible that she saw him.....unless for some reason she didn't get on the bus.

After a few days, when Mattie headed out the door, granddaddy decided to employ a new tactic. Feigning a desire to spend time together, he escorted her personally to the bus stop and waited with her until the bus came. The driver swished open the doors and Mattie stepped on board. Granddaddy stood on the curb waving to her as the bus pulled away. He watched her take a seat and then skedaddled back through the house and into the field.

Confident that he was home free, Granddaddy met up with his buddies and they smoked some more Rabbit Tobacco.

That night, he eagerly waited for Mattie on the front porch. The bus came to the stop and she got off. Granddaddy greeted her as she came up the steps. Before even saying “hello,” she lit into him.

“Schaefer Kendrick, you've been smoking that Rabbit Tobacco again. I warned you not to......you get on up to your room and stay there until I've had a chance to figure out how I'm going to punish you so you'll get the message.”

There is NO WAY she knows,” granddaddy thought to himself. “I saw her get on the bus this morning.” He was totally perplexed, but that didn't matter. No more Rabbit Tobacco for him.

Years later, he asked Mattie how in the world she knew that he was smoking Rabbit Tobacco. It was a mystery he had to solve.

Simple,” she replied. “The hairs above your lip were singed.”

There's a lesson here for the two of you. You may think that you can get ahead of your mom, but you never will.....even if you're just being boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment