Dear Boo and Bubble,
When I became a faculty member at Eastside High School in
1970, I joined many of my former teachers at my alma mater, Wade Hampton. My principal, John Durr, taught me
English. His assistant principal, Frank
Sutherland, had been a math instructor.
Catherine Austell and Betty Beane Workman came over from the English
department. Mrs. Workman oversaw the
publication of our yearbook, The
Trevilian. As you can see, there
were many teachers with vastly more experience than I had just coming out of
college. That fact, coupled with the
requirement of full integration of the faculty under the Supreme Court ruling,
made it very difficult for Mr. Durr to consider me at all for a position in the
History Department.
The only way he could justify hiring me was to have me
accept some additional responsibility over and above my classroom hours. He suggested that if I became the Pep Club
advisor, he would give me the job. I had
served as president of the Pep Club my senior year at Wade Hampton, so this
seemed to fit quite well with my skill set.
I agreed to do it.
The charter of the club stated that the group would support
the athletic endeavors of the school.
This included the selection of cheerleaders, coordination of a Booster
Club and organization of events for students to increase attendance at games of
the various sports. The athletic
department had successfully fielded a football team during the summer, once it
became known which existing schools would supply the students for the newly-formed
Eastside. When classes started, I had no
time to waste setting up elections to decide cheerleaders and the name of our
team name (ultimately decided as the Eagles).
As I’ve explained before, this was the first student body
ever assembled for Eastside and reflected a diversity never before seen in the
public schools. It was a blessing in
many ways to be in a brand new school with no established traditions. There were no outsiders. But the situation did present its own
challenges. Those of us in any
leadership capacity need to establish fair ways for any election process to reflect
the makeup of the body. For me, this was
particularly true in establishing a cheerleading corps as they would become one
of the most visible symbols to the broader community of how things were going
at the school.
The applications came in just as I expected – an equal
number of white and black students. We
held open tryouts in front of the entire student body so everyone could display
their talents. On the ballot, however, I
divided the candidates by race. Students
were instructed to vote for four of each, regardless of class year. The top eight vote-getters would be the
regular squad. The next four would vie
for two alternate spots in a run-off with no restrictions on voting. My methodology might not pass muster today,
but my underlying goal was to eliminate cliques and encourage the students to
get to know one another. For the time,
the process worked fine and Eastside’s first cheerleaders were chosen without
any consternation. The only loose end to
tie up was that of the alternates.
As all of the football games would be that year, the first
one was away. In the tradition of my
experience with high school football, I secured a Greyhound bus to take
students to the game for a nominal fee. That’s
what we did all the time at Wade Hampton.
The bus filled up quickly, mostly with white students, but there were
three black boys who also bought tickets.
In what I thought was a stroke of genius, I decided to use the occasion
to let the four girls vying for alternate cheerleader to ride for free and lead
cheers on the bus going down to the game.
They would then temporarily join the regular squad at the game and have
another chance to audition.
We were all to meet at 5:00 PM in Eastside’s parking lot and
head out. Since school didn’t let out
until 3:30, I just decided to stay and grade papers rather than go home and
come back. In a show of typical chivalry, Great Granddaddy Schaefer asked if he
could ride along. He was concerned that
the bus would return after 11:00 and he didn’t want me driving by myself that
late at night. I was delighted to have
his company……and it was quite providential that we would share the experience
of that night together.
Among the four girls vying for alternate cheerleader was a
Sophomore who had come from Lincoln High School, one of two all-black high
schools in the county up until that year.
I don’t remember her name, but I will never forget that about ten miles
into the trip, she began shouting cheers traditionally used at Lincoln. At first, the white students just
observed. By the time the bus arrived,
however, the entire load loudly joined in – stomping and clapping to a raucous
beat so much that I thought the wheels would rock off the axles. Granddaddy and I were right in there with
them.
The ride home, however, proved to be a little more
somber. The Eagles lost the game quite
badly. No cheering, just quiet
murmuring.
When the bus returned to the parking log, students
disembarked and headed towards the cars filled with waiting parents. As they filtered out, the lot emptied and the
bus pulled away, Granddaddy and I stood there alone with the cheerleader and
the three black boys.
“Miss Kendrick, is the office open?” she asked. “We need to call our parents.”
I found myself in a very awkward assumptive situation – I
assumed because white students took buses to football games all the time, it
must be universally true. Come to find
out, this was the first time these kids had ever even heard of such a
thing. I had foregone the conclusion
that they would know to tell their parents to come to the parking lot to meet
them.
Since this all happened before the cell phone was even a
concept, I had to tell her “no.”
Thank heavens, Granddaddy was there.
“Okay,” he said, “I’ll take you boys home. Beth, you take her. Does that work for everybody?”
Realizing that this solution was the only option, they
nodded their heads.
Granddaddy and the boys piled into his car - she and I into
my little two-door Mustang and off we went.
The night was steamy and before long my windshield began to fog up. I turned on the defroster and the wipers so I
could see where we were going. It was
pitch dark.
“Miss Kendrick,” she said, “I am so sorry.”
“For what?” I asked.
“You didn’t know how this works.
I’m the one who should be saying I’m sorry.”
“No, it’s not that.
It’s about the cheering. I just
couldn’t help myself. I didn’t mean to
just take over. But that’s what we do at Lincoln.”
“Are you kidding me?”
I replied in shock. “It was
wonderful! You had everybody so fired up
by the time we got to the game, it was amazing.”
We rode along is silence for a while, only broken by her
directions on where to go. Finally she
told me to stop, that she could get out and walk the rest of the way. I couldn’t see any distinguishing markers,
but I figured she knew her own neighborhood.
As she opened her door to get out, I stopped her and said,
“Listen, the greatest thing about Eastside is that it is brand new and you
students from Lincoln will bring your best traditions to the mix and all the
other students will do so as well. It’s
not my school, their school or yours…..it’s our school. So don’t you worry. Be yourself.
You made a real contribution tonight.”
She thanked me, shut the door and vanished into the
darkness. I turned around and started
making my way back. I honestly would
have hated to see in daylight where I was.
As it turned out, she was elected as one of the alternate
cheerleaders and I felt a little sense of pride at possibly having helped that
to occur.
No comments:
Post a Comment