Dear Boo and Bubble,
Well, here it is December 31 again with
another year gone by so quickly that it seems just yesterday we were
starting it. It's been a pretty significant year for the two of you
what with Boo breaking the tooth fairy bank by losing seven teeth and
Bubble starting pre-school already. It's hard to believe the changes
that can occur in a 12-month span of time and I find that this
particular day - New Year's Eve - always begs for recollection.
For me, that means returning to the deepest, warmest, most comforting
recesses of my memory to a time when I was your age and all of my
closest friends convened at 3 Lakecrest for a celebratory evening
that included a traditional rip-roaring battle of Up Jinks between
the girls and boys, then the annual race around the house with
sparklers at midnight followed by a bowl of Mamaw Mary's famous chili
before heading to bed.
No New Year's Eve could ever be
complete, however, without Granddaddy Schaefer's telling of a
One-legged Dragon tale. Every year, as soon as Up Jinks was over and
right before the countdown began to midnight, Granddaddy would take a
napkin and wrap it like a diaper around the index finger of his right
hand. Then, he'd fold his thumb and other fingers back into a fist,
leaving only the covered digit pointing outward.
"All right, children," he
always began. "I want to tell you a story about the One-Legged
Dragon." And he'd move his finger across the table.......poor
dragon......limping along with only one leg......and the story would
begin. I've written to you about this before (See Sunday,
December 30, 2012 - "The One-Legged Dragon."), but the
other day, I ran across some information in one of Granddaddy's
editorials that was news to me. It shed some light on the history of
the dragon and I wanted to make sure you knew.
Enthusiasm Encountered
In Its Pristine Form
(Sunday,
March 6, 1994 - The Greenville News)
I
love enthusiasm. In fact, if I can find an enthusiastic mortician
I'm going to ask him to bury me, but on condition he won't get
carried away by his enthusiasm and take me before I'm scheduled to
go.
I
hate sourpusses, the ones always rummaging around hunting something
unpleasant and doomed shaped for a topic of conversation, who see no
beauty in a magnificent red sunrise, but want to talk about the
unwanted rain it portends, one who shuns laughter as though it is the
mother of plagues.
The
other morning, I saw enthusiasm in its pristine, crystal pure form.
It bathed me with the soap of joy and injected high octane into my
outlook.
This
epiphany, of a sort, occurred at Blythe Elementary School. I was
asked to read my story of the "One-Legged Dragon" to my
granddaughter Chelsea's class. Through a misunderstanding, instead of
a small classroom of 20 third graders, I found myself on the stage of
the lunch room before 150 first, second and third graders sitting on
the floor with their teachers. I nearly panicked. But then I
realized that, after all, I am a grandfather and these were simply
Chelsea and Natalie multiplied by 75. The thought calmed my fears.
As I
looked down on their bright and expectant little faces I became
inwardly pensive. Here I was an emerging octogenarian looking
tomorrow squarely in the eye; the past, of which I am so fond,
suddenly lost its relevance.
Here
was enormous potential embarking on a voyage over the vast sea of
knowledge. Before my very eyes were the future scientists, doctors,
philosophers, theologians, lawyers, architects, builders and
statesmen.
My
optimism denied the presence of a single future criminal or failure
sitting on that floor waiting to hear about the one-legged dragon.
The
thrust of the story is that everybody is different and it is these
differences that define who we are. Hooray was the dragon's name.
He had one leg and 99 stubs where legs used to be. Every morning,
Mrs. Dragon would help him put his 99 crutches in place and he would
take his morning walk. Everybody would laugh and make fun of Hooray
with all the crutches and just one good leg.
One
day, the people learned how Hooray lost his 99 legs. He was crossing
a vast ocean on his way to seek his fortune when he ran across a
shipwreck with 99 children aboard. They were sure to drown. Hooray
turned his back, told the children to grab a leg and he swam them to
safety. But the children has held onto his legs so tightly he lost
them for lack of circulation.
When
the people heard this they cheered Hooray, for he was a hero.
Because
it was Hooray's 675th birthday, we all sang Happy Birthday to him
with such enthusiasm and gusto it caught the attention of Old St.
Peter, even as he was checking credentials and consigning eternal
fate to the multitude who had just been processed by the world's
morticians.
What
and experience!!
No comments:
Post a Comment