Saturday, February 27, 2016

It Starts With Me



Dear Boo and Bubble,

I went “wogging” the other day which is a blend of walking and jogging where what to do when is determined by the music playing on my IPod.  The shuffle of songs includes many of my all-time favorites.  The artists are somewhat eclectic but many come from my younger years like Ben E. King, Otis Redding, The Temptations and Peter, Paul and Mary.  Every now and then, somebody more recent pops up – maybe David Gray or Dido. 
 
The lyrics range from the silly – “Everybody’s doing a brand new dance now, c’mon baby….do the Locomotion”- to the more profound – “It's the one who won't be taken, who can not seem to give; And the soul afraid of dying, that never learns to live.” Regardless of their import, I sometimes sing along and my lack of talent in doing so serves as no deterrent.  Unaware of the loudness due my earbuds, I belt out the words.  If anybody happens to pass me or follow along behind, they get an earful and most likely think I’m a bit touched.

About fifteen minutes into my “wog,” Michael Jackson’s Man in the Mirror cycled up in the shuffle.  I like the song, particularly its gospel quality.  But, I also appreciate its message which is reinforced in every chorus.

I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been any clearer
If you want to make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself, and then make a change.

It reminds me of a similar imperative implied in a framed needlepoint canvas that hung in our living room of 3 Lakecrest.  Your great, great grandmother, Eva Crew Bethany, made it for Mamaw Mary as a graduation gift from college.  I do not know the origin of the words – and sadly, I have no idea where the canvas might be.  I would love to find it, though, and use it again as a constant prompt that any change of condition for our world must start with the individual.
 
Where there is righteousness in the heart, there is beauty in the character.
Where there is beauty in the character, there is harmony in the home.
When there is harmony in the home, there is order in the Nation.
When there is order in the Nation, there is peace in the World.

No comments:

Post a Comment