Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Leave a Footprint



Dear Boo and Bubble,

Whenever our family would get together, your great, great, great Aunt Harriet used to remark that we were “making memories.”  Captain and I enjoyed this past week being with you – doing just that – making memories.  I love the phrase because, for me, it succinctly describes what a good deal of life is all about.

As I watched the two of you play one afternoon totally immersed in your imaginary world of Hot Wheel car races and Lego fortresses, a weighty muse floated across my mind.  You are both at the beginning of your adventure on this earth – looking forever forward, learning, growing, exploring, testing - building a compilation of experiences that will mold you into men.  I, on the other hand, have already lived more days than remain and even though I fully intend to be here for a considerable time more, my mind contemplates my inevitable mortality and tends to reflect backward.  The process naturally leads me to mankind’s eternal conundrum of figuring out the purpose of it all.  Is there something more to it than just “making memories?”  And when the dust of my existence on this earth finally settles, will I have left behind any footprint at all on the larger history and scheme of things?

Very few of us have significant enough lives to merit a Wikipedia entry or to be remembered by anyone beyond our family and friends.  But, I still think it’s important to make an effort towards a legacy beyond existing each day.  In many ways, The Bridge Project is my conscientious attempt to do so.  By sharing these stories, my hope is to impress upon you the concrete values and morals intrinsic in your family’s heritage.  I also strive to create an awareness that as self-centered as life may be, there is an objective to it beyond self that makes it worth living.  (I’m also trying to make my footprint more permanent – as your forebears Joseph Cottrell and Schaefer Kendrick did before – through the written word!)

Through the coming years, you will make many choices that will determine the ultimate outcome of your life.  There will be times when everything is crystal clear and the path well-defined.  There will also be moments of self-doubt and confusion about where you are headed.  When you are in the midst of such emotions, take heart from C. S. Lewis who wrote “Having a rough morning?  Place our hand over your heart…..feel that?  That’s called purpose.  You’re alive for a reason; don’t give up.”

I would always encourage you through your words and deeds to affect everyone and everything around you positively.  If you see a need, meet it.  If you find a wound, bind it.  If you know of a hurt, attend it.  And…..at every opportunity….promote and pass along the legacy left to you by those who came before.  Leave a footprint, boys…..leave a footprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment