Dear Boo and Bubble,
Now comes the conclusion of Joe Horgan’s story. It is amazing that from such humble
beginnings so long ago, he made a good life for himself. At the end of this last installment, I will
share with you some advice he wanted me to pass along to you. Remember to read this with your inner Irish
ears.
The Story of Joe
The American Dream– Part 3
Joe and Mary on the Banner Elk Park Bridge - July 2016
“Making it in America”
When I rotated out of the Army, I found myself back in New
York and in the familiar situation of needing a job and a place to live. It was in the winter – I remember that much –
and I was walking down the street in the bitter cold when I happened upon a
black fellow and we were discussing my circumstance. He took me to see a Mr. Sutton who was in
charge of all the workers for the A&P super market chain. At the time, A&P over 400 super markets
in New York City. I interviewed with Mr.
Sutton and he initially told me that he had nothing to offer.
As I walked back out into the street, I decided that I just couldn’t
accept “no” for an answer. And so, I turned around and walked back into
his office and said, “Mr. Sutton, I need
a job. I have no relatives here and I’m
not going to beg, but can you give me anything to keep me going?”
Perhaps he had some empathy for me, I don’t know, but in an
amazing reversal of fortune, he offered me a part-time job at the A&P
working five days a week with no benefits.
I was 25 or 26 at the time and in order to make ends meet, I moved into
an apartment with a couple of other guys.
I ended up working for the A&P for eleven years. Mr. Sutton offered me the position of
Assistant Manager, but I didn’t take it.
You see, during the years before in my youth, I had grown accustomed to
working for myself and that would always be in the back of my mind – to return
to self-employment someday…..to being my own boss.
Even though I did not partake of alcohol back then (I’ve
grown to enjoy a Jameson Irish whiskey every now and then in my old age), I had
always thought about opening up a bar. I
didn’t make a lot of money, but I began saving what I could. One day, a friend of mine proposed that we go
in together and buy a place in Sunnyside Queens, Long Island. We opened up the first bar and, with its
success, were able to buy another one in downtown Manhattan. It was in the early 60’s, when I was just
turning 40 years old, that we decided to go our separate ways. He took the Manhattan location and I
inherited Sunnyside Queens. I decided to
add a food menu and convert the bar to a full-fledged pub. And so, “P.J.
Horgan’s” was born, an establishment that I owned for the next 31
years. It rapidly became one of the most
popular spots in all of Long Island and likewise, I rapidly became reintroduced
to the rigors of being the boss, putting in 70-80 hours a week managing some 19
employees. But, I loved it…..thrived on
it….and couldn’t believe how lucky I was.
Entrance to P.J. Horgan's, Sunnyside Queens
All decked out for St. Patty's Day
The interior of P.J. Horgan's
Christmastime at P.J. Horgan's - Joe hard at work balancing the books.
All of this time – into my mid-40’s – I had never even had
time to consider the possibility of a mate in my life. The years had flown by in pursuit of my basic
needs for survival….there was very little time for the contemplation of
relaxation, much less of companionship and family. And I felt no compunction on that score for,
at the moment, with the opening of the pub and its success, I was happy.
Then one night, a friend invited me to go see a play
performed by the Thomas Davis Irish Players, a group of thespians of Irish or
American-Irish descent. The venue was
intimate and I was able to see quite well everyone on stage. I spotted a dainty, lively and most charming
young woman among them. I inquired of my
friend who she might be and turns out they knew each other.
On December 26, 1969, this same friend invited me to come to
the Christmas dance at the Corkman Club Association. Many Irish associations sprung up in New York
representing communities back in the homeland.
Being from Corkman, I was excited to go….but I asked if perhaps the
young lady from the Players might be going as well. The answer was “yes,” and my response was an enthusiastic “well if she’s going, I’m going!”
That evening, I met my Mary officially for the first time. I remember sitting at the bar when I saw her
come through the door out of the bitter cold so common in December. I introduced myself and as the evening
progressed, we found ourselves immersed in the gaiety of Ceile
dancing…..laughing out loud….basically reveling in being Irish. When the evening came to an end, I offered to
walk her home. I had only worn a light
raincoat and by the time we reached her place, I was almost frozen. I asked if I could come in to warm up a bit
and she responded, “If you can behave!” I was so cold, I don’t think I could have
even tried anything untoward!!
Mary as a young girl
We sipped coffee and chatted for a while. I found out that aside from her passion for
the Thomas Davis Irish Players, she was beautifully educated at Fordham
College, worked for a law firm and that she was four or so years younger than
I. We wound down our conversation in the
wee hours of the morning. When it was time for me to leave, she gave me her
mother’s old coat to wear home so that I wouldn’t be cold. For the next few months, we saw each other
regularly until it became inevitable. We
knew we would spend the rest of our lives together. I think what made it so special was that neither
one of us sought it…..it wasn’t forced….it just happened along. Sometimes the best things in life are that
way.
And so, on October 10, 1970, at the ripe old age of 46, I
married Mary and until the 1990’s, she continued to work at the law firm and I
ran P.J. Horgan’s. She kept the books for the Pub as well and we
grew close to each other, prospering in a way that I could never have imagined
growing up as a child in Corkman.
After 31 years at P.J. Horgan's, we decided to retire.... and have been so for quite a while now, settling down in
the quaint community of Little River, SC, .... and we also have a place high atop
Sugar Mountain (which is where I came to
know your grandparents) in northwestern North Carolina. As I look back over the course of things, it
is hard for even me to believe my life's good fortune.
I guess the conclusion would have to be this……if ever
someone questions the possibility of living out the American dream…….all you
have to do is tell them my story….the story of F. Joseph Horgan.
The End
Boys, I asked Joe what advice he might offer to you for
consideration as you grow up. He
answered this:
“First and foremost,
get a good education, and use it. If at
all possible, work for yourself. And
appreciate the simple things in life. A
game of marbles, a walk in the country can give you great joy. I remember
getting a deck of cards as a gift from my sister’s boyfriend and I thought I
was king because they were new.
Yes….appreciate the simple things.”
A Few More Pictures of Joe and Mary - the Dream Continues















No comments:
Post a Comment