Thursday, June 8, 2017

Finish What You Start



Dear Boo and Bubble,

I want to apologize for not writing in such a long time.  It had nothing to do with neglect in thinking of you……I always am, as you are first and foremost on my mind.  In fact, I’ve been very busy focusing on writing of another sort.  Almost eight years ago, I started a novel.  The story has been rolling around in my head all that time, trying to force its way out like an acorn might do when it finds root in the ground.  My dedication to the process has waxed and waned depending on thrusts of inspiration or total creative dry spells.  However, I have persisted and it appears that I am only a few chapters away from finishing – at least the first book.  It will definitely need a sequel to fully tell the tale.

In rounding third base and heading for home on this project, it occurred to me what a valuable lesson I’ve learned in this endeavor – finish what you start, for in doing so, you will experience a sense of satisfaction unmatched by any beginning. 

There is a quote by Amit Kalantri that sums it up for me. “Beginning in itself has no value, it is an end which makes beginning meaningful, we must end what we have begun.”

Knowing this, the interesting thing is that we seem to always be about the beginning.  The burst of energy comes at the start of the race but the finish is slow-footed.  A hammer seems light to hold on the first nail but, by the last, is heavy to lift.  Perhaps the reason is that beginnings are spawned by inspiration while finishing requires discipline, a much more difficult trait to embrace.

Recently, Captain and I decided to remodel our kitchen.  We spent weeks in making decisions about cabinets, countertops, hardware, and appliances.  It took additional weeks for everything to be delivered.  We hired someone to demolish the old kitchen and install the new.  When the time came to start, there was great enthusiasm as cabinets were literally ripped from the walls and carried to the dumpster.  The energy sustained itself with every meticulous calculation of where replacements should go.  With the new cabinets in, it was time for the measurements for the granite countertops.  Another week went by and their delivery produced a new burst of gusto. 

But then, a strange thing happened.  With all of the major work done, it seemed that the hardest part to complete became the “finishing touches.”  I noticed a little place left uncovered by the trim at the base of the dishwasher; and a gap underneath where the granite rested on the divider wall between the dining area and the kitchen; and a small protrusion of old glue coming out from the new backsplash along the kitchen counter.  These were little things in the scheme of things, but for me they became a focal point.  Why have this amazing beginning if it’s not finished properly.

Captain, bless his heart, has channeled his inner carpenter to fix all of these testy details for me.  He has measured and cut tiny pieces of leftovers to fit into places attainable only by lying on the floor.  He has glued and clamped quarter-round trim in spots that defy gravity.  Above all, he has persevered until every little detail has been addressed.  And…..what a difference it makes.

Boys, I know it is tempting to always let other things interfere with what you’ve started to do – be it homework or cleaning your room or picking up toys out in the yard.  But, don’t let that happen.  Finish what you start.  Get in the habit.  It will be a lesson well learned as you grow in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment