Dear Boo and Bubble,
For the last few years before great granddaddy Schaefer
died, he wrote editorials for The
Greenville News. The other day, I was combing through my copy of them and
ran across one that struck me as interesting mainly because of the ending
sentence – “Long live The Great Depression!”
Unless you’re talking about a hole in the ground, a
depression is never a good thing, not psychologically or economically. Hopefully, you will never have to experience
any type of one. The Great Depression
about which great granddaddy wrote was the deepest and longest-lasting economic
downturn in the history of the Western industrialized world. It began in 1929
with the crash of the stock market in the United States. A panic engulfed the country as millions of
investors lost everything. Depositors
raided the banks frantically trying to seize their money before the supply ran
out. This created a domino affect on
consumer spending and business investment.
The decline in both caused industrial output to virtually cease. Unemployment rose as failing companies laid
off workers.
By 1933, at the height of the Great Depression, some 13 to
15 million Americans were unemployed and nearly half of the country's banks had
failed. The economy would not fully turn around until after 1939, when World
War II kicked American industry into high gear.
You can see why my curiosity was piqued by the article’s
proclamation. As I read it, though, the
explanation came clear. Great granddaddy
penned a caution to his grandchildren to learn the very valuable life lessons
that severe hardship can bring. There is
no need for me to paraphrase as I could not say these things better. In his own words, I pass this along to you –
his great grandchildren.
“I want my
grandchildren to be exposed to the philosophy of my Granny Bryant, whose
constant companion was frugality. My
Granny, who was known as a furlough baby because she was conceived in 1864 when
her daddy was on furlough from the (Civil)War; my Granny, who lived through
Reconstruction, World War I, the Roaring Twenties, The Great Depression, and
who died on D-Day, June 6, 1944.
Whether they
understand it or not, whether it speaks to them or not, I want my grandchildren
to hear more than once that great admonition, ‘Waste Not, want not.’
In this day of
engineered obsolescence, runaway credit and instant gratification, I want my grandchildren
to trace their heritage back to the principles of my grandmother, who, when
tempted to buy something new, made her decision this way: ‘Children, I don’t
ask do I need it. I don’t ask can I
afford it. I ask can I do without it.’
I want my
grandchildren to know there is such a thing as darning socks, half-soling
shoes, wearing hand-me-down clothes, and young faces that learn to smile even
though their pride, at times, is critically wounded.
I want them to know
that one car had to meet the needs of the entire family, and all kinds of
adjustments and give and take took place when those needs were in
conflict. They need to know that when
their granddad was 17, he was allotted the car, for courting purposes, one
Friday night in the month. That when he
was in law school he looked skinny one day and fat the next because the
hand-me-down suit of one uncle was too big and that of the other uncle was too
small.
I want them to know my
widowed mother made enormous sacrifices in order for me to attend college and
law school. That these sacrifices were
made willingly, eagerly and tenderly, out of a heart as big as a child’s
imagination and out of unconditional love that redeemed me more than once.
I want them to know
when I received my law degree on June 1, 1939, at the football field of USC in
Columbia, with the thermometer hovering at 100, my mother and grandmother were
in the stands receiving that diploma with me which the three of us had earned.
And, they need to know
why I still read a menu from right to left.
There were no credit cards back then and I had to be sure I could pay
for what I ordered.
Long live The Great
Depression!”
So, Boo and Bubble, he wanted you to know …..and now you do.
No comments:
Post a Comment