Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Right Wrong Word #3



Dear Boo and Bubble,

Words in the English language can be tricky.  Sometimes they are spelled exactly the same, but pronounced differently – like read and read.  Sometimes they are spelled differently, but pronounced the same – like bread and bred.  In conversation, this problem becomes even more so.  Sometimes a word only heard can be dangerous.

On an occasion, your great-great grandmother Mattie found herself sitting around a table with her seven grown siblings in a rare all-inclusive reunion.  They loved being together and since only Ressie and Annie Mae inherited any semblance of a “shy” gene, these affairs always devolved into a lively good time.

The three brothers – Jamie, Gene and Wade – started chatting among themselves about whether or not they did things right-handed or left-handed.    

“I’m right-handed,” Gene said, “except when I’m in my shop in the basement, I work my hand saw from the left side.”

“Well, I’m naturally left-handed,” Wade added, “but interestingly enough, whenever I hammer nails, I do it with my right hand.”

Jamie piped up.  “I do a lot of things both right-handed and left-handed.  I’m pretty much ambidextrous.” 

All the while, Mattie listened to the conversation and began to ponder the question herself.  She loved to garden and spent much of her free time working the soil, weeding, planting flowers and hoeing rows for her prized vegetables. 

She inserted herself in her brothers’ discourse.  “Well, I do everything right-handed…..but I’m a left-handed hoer.”

Having no contextual privy to her thoughts, all three looked at her in stunned disbelief which quickly dissolved into the type of teasing only brothers can give. 

“Why Mattie Kendrick,” Wade (the Baptist preacher) spoke in mock shock.  “I had no idea!”

“I didn’t realize it made any difference,” Gene chimed in.

“Yes, sweet sister, please explain to me exactly what it is you do left-handed as such,” Jamie almost choked on the words. 

I’m sure your great, great grandmother blushed to the color of a red-ripe tomato….before she joined Wade, Gene and Jamie in a good old family belly laugh.

Yes, boys, words can be tricky, both in meaning and sound.  Better know what you’re saying!

1 comment:

  1. I laughed so hard when I read this blog - I can picture your Dad telling this story at one of the reunions... and I can just hear his voice in the telling!

    ReplyDelete