Dear Boo and Bubble,
There are times when someone needs the service of a lawyer, but they can't afford it. In these instances, the court will appoint a lawyer to handle the case "pro bono" - or "for free." This arrangement is critical to our justice system because all of us are guaranteed access to it regardless of our financial circumstances.
Early in great granddaddy Schaefer's legal career, the court appointed him to represent a man with the last name of Crewell. Granddaddy reviewed the file and decided that, in order to do a thorough job, he should conduct a personal interview with his client. He really wanted to get to know Mr. Crewell and thought it best to talk to him in his normal surroundings, not at the office. Granddaddy made an appointment and noted the address.
When the time came, Granddaddy drove out from town until the far reaches of Greenville County. He pulled into the well-trodden front yard of the house, a ramshackle wooden structure surrounded by a couple of acres with a vegetable garden on one side and a clothesline on the other. The house itself might have signaled poverty, but the neatness of the garden rows and the cleanliness of the clothes flapping from the line emitted an aura of pride. Mr. and Mrs. Crewell sat on the front porch in rocking chairs. Their thirteen children covered the several steps leading up to the porch - each spit-shined as if it were Sunday morning.
After introducing himself, Granddaddy began his questioning of Mr. Crewell. When he was satisfied that he knew the scope of the legal issues, he asked if he might talk to Mrs. Crewell. She agreed.
"So...." Granddaddy began, "I see you have thirteen children."
"Yes, sir," she answered.
"Well, I only have one question for you. Which one of these children do you love the most?"
With great conviction and without any hesitation, Mrs. Crewell responded - "The one that's sick."
Granddaddy laughed gently and thought what an honest and amazing answer.
He then asked if he could talk to each of the children. Mr. and Mrs. Crewell gave their permission. Granddaddy asked them to line up on the steps with the oldest at the top and youngest at the bottom.
"Okay, all I want to know is how old you are and your name," he instructed. "Understand?"
They all nodded yes. He approached the oldest boy.
"18....and I'm James."
"17....and I'm Sarah."
"16...and I'm Heather."
"15...and I'm John."
"14....and I'm Joe."
"13...and I'm Mary."
"12...and I'm David."
"11....and I'm Mark."
"10...and I'm Sam."
"9 ...and I'm Luke."
"8...and I'm Elizabeth."
"7....and I'm Martin."
"6................and I'm Routine."
No comments:
Post a Comment