Dear Boo and Bubble,
Today is Christmas Eve and to me, even
more than Christmas Day itself, it embodies the delectable and
anticipatory spirit of the season. Carols that have worn out their
welcome on the radio since Halloween refresh themselves with a new
vibrancy. The frantic pace of shopping, decorating, cooking,
wrapping, mailing and partying simmers down into a slow, warm
relaxation where one can take off shoes, prop up the feet and sip
some nog. We are filled with eagerness for tomorrow. All of its
promise lies still before us with the most wonderful emotion in
mankind’s existence – that of hope and expectancy.
Well…yeah....and then you wake up.
As Christmas approached in 1979, your
mom had just turned four and Aunt Bee was only a baby. Unlike the
three years before, Mary Kathleen now had a secure grasp on the
concept of Santa Claus and his stash of presents. She set her sights
on an Easy-Bake Oven and chattered about it pretty constantly
beginning around Thanksgiving. Captain and I made the obligatory
parental warning – “If you’re good, maybe Santa will bring it
to you, but you must be good. You know, he’s watching your every
move.”
Sometime in early December, one of my
neighbors in Canterbury invited me to come to a yard sale. I’m not
normally a yard sale shopper, but I went to be supportive. As I
combed through the offerings neatly displayed on her driveway, I
spotted an Easy-Bake Oven. I about broke my neck tripping over old
clothes, shoes, pots and pans, electric blankets, and lamps to get to
it.
It looked in good shape. The price
clearly marked on masking tape stuck to the back read “$1.00.”
“How incredible,” I thought
to myself. “I can get Mary Kathleen’s Santa gift for $1.00.”
I scooped it up and went immediately to
pay. As soon as I returned home, I went into the house and pulled
down the attic stairs and climbed up enough of them to be able to
tuck the oven safely in a convenient hiding place.
The weeks passed quickly with the usual
crescendo of holiday activity until all of a sudden, it was Christmas
Eve. In the late afternoon, oh, maybe around 5:00, I was in the
kitchen starting dinner when Captain pulled into the carport from
work. Your mom sat watching TV in the family room while Aunt Bee
played in her playpen.
Captain came over and kissed me on the
cheek.
“Merry Christmas Eve,” he said
jovially. (Hint: Captain LOVES Christmas – everything about
it.)
“And Merry Christmas Eve to you,” I
responded.
“So….do we have everything? For
Santa, I mean.” He lowered his voice to his whisper.
“Yes. Remember, I found the
Easy-Bake Oven at the yard sale a few weeks ago.”
“And…..do we have anything to bake
in the oven? Like mix and pans and stuff?”
I could feel the flush immediately
creep up my neck. My blank expression, plus my absolute muteness,
answered his question. In the excitement of my bargain, I had
overlooked the need for the necessary accessories so your mom could
actually cook something. It would be like Santa Pergatory - “Yes,
little girl, you were good enough to get the oven, but not good
enough to be able to do anything with it.”
“Uh…..” was all I could muster.
“Hold that thought,” Captain said
as he pointed his finger at me. Before I could respond, he was out
the door and backing down the driveway.
My mind raced as I considered any
options that I might have to make the situation right. It was
already dark. This was way before the days of malls, Wal-Mart and
other big-box stores that stayed open late. The only place that
would possibly have Easy-Bake Oven supplies was the local hardware
store. I looked up the number in the phone book and dialed it.
Ring.....ring.....ring.....ring.....ring....ring....ring.
No answer. They
were closed. My heart sank.......until I thought about calling the
owner of the store, George Morgan.
There are
advantages to living in a small town like ours of Gaffney, not the
least of which is that everybody knows everybody. Captain and I were
acquaintances with George and his wife, Bunnie.
I called the
Morgans' home phone.
Ring...ring....ring....ring...
“Hello” ….a voice
answered.
“George!?!” I
pretty much shrieked.
“Yes?” he
answered, sounding a little reticent, like he might have a lunatic on
the other end of the line.
“This is Beth
Tally. I hate to bother you here on Christmas Eve, but would you
like to save a marriage?”
He laughed, sort
of.
“I know that
you've closed the store, but I was wondering if by any chance you
have Easy-Bake Oven accessories.”
“Yes. Do you
need some?”
“I do and if I
can't get them, both Santa and I are in a big old, bad dog house.”
“Well, we don't
want that, now do we? Why don't I meet you at the store in a few
minutes and we'll solve that problem.”
I called my across
the street neighbor to come over and stay with your mom and Aunt Bee
while I went to meet George. It took me no more than twenty minutes
to go and come back.
The next morning, your mom couldn't believe everything Santa had brought her the night before. She spent Christmas day dividing her time between racing the cars with Captain and baking cakes with me.
It was a wonderful
day that surely would have been otherwise..... but for that Santa
named George!
No comments:
Post a Comment