Dear Boo and Bubble,
Your mother was born on September 23,
1975 in one of the operating rooms at Cherokee County Memorial
Hospital in Gaffney, SC. That means she was only three months old
for her first Christmas – just starting to smile and push herself
up while on her stomach. Needless to say, the holiday came and went
without any concern on her part.
By the next year, she was 15 months old
and much more advanced – walking everywhere, talking a little –
but still not cognizant of the nuances of Christmas. We had moved
from our first home at 231 East Montgomery Street, a duplex that we
rented in the downtown area of Gaffney, to 126 Brittany Road, a house
that we bought located in the Canterbury Subdivision out towards
Interstate 85.
Canterbury proved to be a perfect match
for our little family with lots of children and great neighbors. As
Christmas time rolled around, it became a wonderland with decorations
appearing in almost every window of every house on every street.
Your mom loved to ride around and look at all of it.
One day at the beginning of December,
Captain came home early from work. He bolted through the carport
door into the kitchen, his eyes beaming.
“Mary Kathleen (that's what she went
by back then), come here,” he called out excitedly.
She ran barreling into the kitchen,
squealing at the sight of him.
“I think we need to go get our
Christmas tree, don't you?”
She didn't completely understand, but
Captain's enthusiasm let her know something inviting was in the
offing. “Yes....” she answered, using probably one tenth of her
fledgeling vocabulary.
We put on jackets and piled into the
car. After a celebratory dinner at McDonald's, we rode down Floyd
Baker Boulevard, the main four-lane road coming into Gaffney from the
interstate, and scoped out the tree lots that dotted both sides of
the road. Captain pulled into one that appeared to have a good
selection. I held your mom in my arms while he perused the trees,
standing them up, shaking them, and twirling them around to make sure
they were uniform in shape.
“Come here,” he called out from
somewhere in the middle of the lot. “I think I've found it.”
I put your mom down and grabbed her
hand. We wandered through the rows in the direction of his voice.
“Here...here I am.”
And there Captain stood, bolstering a
beautiful Frazier Fir, not too big, but perfectly symmetrical.
“What do you think, Mary Kathleen?”
She dashed towards him.
“You like it?”
Almost shyly, her little hands reached
out to fondle the green, poised needles.
“I think it's gorgeous!” I seconded
Captain's choice as I came up from behind.
We paid for the tree and, with the help
of the lot owner, tied it to the top of our car. By the time we made
the short drive back to Canterbury, it was approaching your mom's bed
time. Captain leaned over to me and whispered “let's put Mary
Kathleen to bed before we bring the tree into the house and decorate
it.”
I concurred.
Your mom and I went back to her room.
She had quite a selection of nightgowns, but for the occasion I
picked out a white one with a red bow at the neck, red buttons down
the front and red-fringed lace at the wrists. After brushing her
teeth, we read a story and she went straight to bed.
All the while, Captain was out in the carport taking the tree off the top of the car and bringing it inside to the family room.
Once we were sure she was asleep,
Captain pulled the attic stairs down and climbed up to retrieve the
box that held our tree stand, ornaments and lights. We spent the
rest of the evening decorating the tree, sipping on a little “bad
juice” as we did. Not to be braggadocios, but the finished product
was impressive. Captain turned off all the room lights. We admired
our handiwork which inspired the clink of a Christmas toast before we
headed to bed ourselves.
The next morning, Captain and I awoke
before your mom. We were sipping coffee in the breakfast nook when
she made noises from her crib that signaled she was up and ready to
start the day.
“You go get Mary Kathleen and I'll
turn on the tree lights, okay?” Captain said.
“Okay.”
I went to her room and pulled her up
out of the crib.
“Good morning, you,” I cooed as I
pecked her on the cheek.
I set her on the floor and she
scampered down the hall, her little nightgown billowing behind. She
rounded the corner into the family room and stopped – stopped dead
– at the sight of the glowing Christmas tree in the corner.
Instinctively, she drew her hands to her mouth in absolute awe. She
then clutched them to her chest as she approached the delicate
branches laden with red, green, blue and white lights, spiraling ever
upwards to a pinnacle where a silver star sat majestically overseeing
the room. Delicate ornaments reflected an incandescent glow from each
bulb.
Breathlessly, your mom went around and
around the tree, hugging herself. It was, in fact, the most
beautiful thing she had ever seen in her short little life. Captain
and I stood there, equally mesmerized at the scene. The pure
innocence of her utter joy brought tears to my eyes.
There have been over 35 Christmases
since then and we've had a tree for every one. But, forever in my
mind, that tree will always be the perfect Christmas tree.
No comments:
Post a Comment