Dear Boo and Bubble,
I found myself in a heated tennis match
yesterday. One of the men in our daily group here in Mt. Dora
challenged me to a set of singles. Even though he was younger
and.......yes.....a male, I found myself unable to say “no,”
which is probably what I should have done. That's not in my DNA,
however. Over the next hour and a half, we battled back and forth,
serving lots of deuce points and breaking each others' serves until
the score reached 6-all. We started a 7-point tiebreaker only to
continue the seesaw battle through 8-all. Finally, I broke his serve
and won mine for a victory at 10-8. Honestly, I was lucky it stopped
there.....much longer and my old knees might not have lasted.
As you know, tennis has been a big part
of my life. You probably remember me telling you that, when I was
just a little girl (before Uncle Gene was born), Granddaddy sat Uncle
Bryant and me down to say “Children, there are three things we can
not afford – allergies, braces and golf.” At which point, he
gave us wooden tennis rackets encased in braces to keep them from
warping....... along with the promise that, if used properly, they
would provide us a lifetime of frugal enjoyment.
Many things have changed over the years
– the equipment, shoes, clothes and, unfortunately, the cost. But,
the game itself has remained steadfast in Granddaddy's forecast of
its pleasure. In many ways, I find it metaphorical to life itself
depending upon the circumstances. Sometimes there are struggles very
much like the match yesterday when it took every ounce of
concentration and stamina I had just to stay on the court. Sometimes
you play your very best and still lose; sometimes you're bad and win.
Sometimes you think it will never end; sometimes you don't want it
to. Sometimes the ball tips the net and goes over; sometimes it
falls back. And then, sometimes you're just in the right place at the
right time and you win through no effort of your own.
When I was twelve years old, I entered
the Greenville County Parks and Recreation tennis tournament being
held at the courts in the old Cleveland Park right next to the roller
skating rink in downtown Greenville. The tournament was bracketed by
age group with mine being the “Mite” division for players 12 to
13. The winner and runner-up in each division would go on to
represent Greenville in the regional Parks and Recreation tournament
in Greenwood. Winners there would continue on to the state
championships in Belton.
When time came for the tournament to
start, I showed up and checked to see who my competitors might be.
Alas, there was only one other girl signed up in my group. The
organizers told us to go ahead and play a match, even though we would
both automatically be going to Greenwood. We did and I won.
As luck would have it, when we arrived
in Greenwood a couple of weeks later, we were once again the only
players in the girls' Mite Division. We were told that there was no
need for us to play a match since both of us would move on to Belton.
For administrative purposes, though, they determined me the winner
since I had prevailed in Greenville.
Two weeks later, we arrived in Belton
to find out that there were four girls to compete for the state title
which meant we were actually going to have to play tennis this time –
but not against each other. The first matches were in the morning.
I won mine, but my compatriot lost hers.
That afternoon, I found myself poised
to vie for the title of South Carolina Parks and Recreation Mite
Division State Champion, having only achieved victory in two prior
matches to do so. Nonetheless, my stomach churned with the ruthless
nerves that accompany such an auspicious occasion. I arrived at the
appointed court and met my opponent. We took to our sides to begin
the warmup.
As I stroked a forehand to her, she
swatted at the ball and the racquet promptly fell from her hand to
the ground.
“Hmmm.....”
I thought to myself. “That's interesting.”
I hit
another ball to her. The same thing happened, making it less likely
that the first occurrence was a fluke. After two or three more
attempts, she called me up to the net.
“I
want to ask you something,” she said, “and, I need your honest
opinion.”
“Sure,”
I responded, not really sure at all.
“If
you were me, would you play with blisters like these?”
At
which point, she opened up her racket hand to reveal a series of
blisters across the base of her fingers and on her palm that almost
snarled at me they were so nasty. They were the result of her
morning match where somehow she had prevailed against the other girl
from Greenville.
I
found myself at the ripe old age of 12 in a moral quandary – if I
told her not to play, I'd be handing myself the title. If I told her
to play, and I won, I would have taken advantage of her. (Sort of on
the periphery of this quandary was the prospect of advising her to
play and then losing to her and having to live with that consequence
for the rest of my life – but, that was only on the periphery.)
Finally,
I determined it would be more humane to suggest that she forfeit -
which I did - and she did - and thus, in the course of probably a
total of three hours' cumulative playing time (at the most), I became
the Mite Champion in Girls' Tennis for the great state of South
Carolina.
Yes,
boys, sometimes in life as in tennis, victory can just fall in your
lap – but, I certainly wouldn't count on it happening very often.
It's much better to prepare and practice so when an opportunity comes
along, you can take advantage of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment