Dear Boo and Bubble,
The other day, while the Mt. Dora Arts
Festival was going on, we stopped into “PizzAmore!” for some
lunch and to take a breather from walking the packed streets lined
pole-to-pole with booths of the hundreds of artists who exhibited
their various forms of work here. At the table next to us sat
another couple engaged in their own conversation. I overheard the
woman remark how good it was to be away from the madding crowd to
which I responded “Yes, it is!”
We started chatting, asking all of the
common questions you do when meeting someone for the first time.
Right after the opening salvo of “What is your name?” of
course came “And, where are you from?” Turns
out, they live in Alexandria, VA. So, we immediately told them that
you and your mom and dad live in Arlington.
After then probing
as to how many children and grandchildren they have, Captain paused
for a minute.
“We have some
friends that we met here who live in Chantilly.....is that close to
you?”
“Oh, you know the
Isners, too!” they responded.
Indeed, the Isners
were who we were describing – mutual friends that we all had met in
Mt. Dora.
“It's a small
world,” we all commented.
Which got me
thinking ----- thank goodness we had not been saying something
negative about the Isners (and, trust me, there wouldn't be anything
negative to say) ------ but, had we, it certainly would have been
caught by them. It's always a good practice, boys, to watch what you
say, especially when out in public. Or, even better, as your great,
great grandmother Bethany used to advise - “If you can't say
something nice, don't say anything at all!”
It reminds me of
the situation I found myself in 40 years ago when Captain and I were
returning from our honeymoon in Cape Cod. We had flown through
LaGuardia airport in New York to get to Boston. On the return, we
had to do the same going back to Greenville. When we arrived at the
gate for our last leg of the trip about thirty minutes before
boarding. The waiting area was already packed (back then passengers
weren't the only ones admitted into the gate) and there was only one
seat available. Captain, being the ultimate gentleman, let me have
the seat and he leaned up against a post across from me.
Finally, time came
for boarding the flight. As the attendant made the announcement,
people started stirring about. At which point, Captain said as
loudly as he could - “Beth, please tell your husband how much I
have enjoyed this last week. You're the best.”
Being a brand new
bride, I was mortified. A robust, crimson blush rose quickly up my
neck and into my cheeks. I felt compelled to explain and turned to
the men on either side of me and said “Oh, he's just kidding. He
IS my husband.”
To which the one on
my left answered “We know he's your husband. Only a husband would
say something like that!”
They
all laughed, and just as my blush began to subside, he said, “By
the way, how's your dad, Schaefer? I had him for Business Law at
Furman.”
At that point, I
just felt like absolutely going through the floor.
Yep.......you
better watch what you say. You never know who might be
listening.......or who you might be talking to!
No comments:
Post a Comment