Friday, April 24, 2015

How Firm A Foundation



Dear Boo and Bubble,

We received an announcement in the mail the other day for the graduation of your second cousin Jack Nix.  Two things struck me as I looked at his picture – how is it possible that baby Jack could be old enough to be graduating from high school and, as he exits this passageway of primary education, the two of you are entering it.  As celebrated as his end of the tunnel might be for the accomplishment, your end is actually much more significant.  Without a proper and disciplined foundation, the educational process can become a perpetual challenge, one fraught with inadequacies that can rob a person of life’s full enjoyment.

Your great, great, great, great grandfather Joseph Benson Cottrell was a brilliant man, prolific writer and renown minister in the mid to late eighteen hundreds.  Yet, even so, he recognized a fundamental flaw that plagued him – one which he sought to overcome in his adult years.

He writes -

Without a systematic plan of life, followed scrupulously, one cannot have the greatest success – cannot attain to the greatest excellency.  I have never lived by rule.  I lacked the early training.  I have everything to over come.  My education when, at 19 years of age I entered the Military Academy at Charleston, South Carolina, was nothing.  From setting type and reading newspapers in my brother’s printing office, I had acquired a facility in writing tolerably the English language – but there was no accuracy in my knowledge – and in pursuing my studies there – I felt continually that I was building on the sand.

In a class of 32, I graduated 15th – could with a little trouble have graduated first.  Politics was my misfortune there as it has been since.  I did not acquire habits of study at the Citadel – the very thing the course is intended for.  Oh! In everything I have been unfaithful – inconstant.  I might have been with comparative ease, this night, capable of taking most any position of honor in the land; but indolence – indifference have been my undoing.

He goes on to vow a remedy -

If I am spared, I will by the help of that God who has prolonged my unprofitable life, redeem the time.  I have a thirst for knowledge.  I have gone back to relay the foundation of an education, beginning with the English and Latin grammars.  I am endeavoring to make haste slowly – building compactly, surely, trudging through that which others presume I am au fait in.  I want to enjoy what I know – and this is impossible without accuracy.  I am a poor speller ever, and sometimes suffer after mailing a letter, lest some word has been misspelled. 

And then he offers an astute observation which should be emblazoned above the entrance to every place of learning -

One half the labor spent in studying, which is thrown away in endeavoring to hide ignorance, would make scholars of many.

He understands that the true profit of education comes from the personal, inward journey towards excellence, not sought for the praise of others, but for one’s own evolution   

I have no doubts as to my capacity to learn.  I have never been beaten in a contest, where I have contested.  As ignorant as I feel myself to be, I am still surprised at my success.  I am more highly esteemed than I deserve.  I feel it, and am often made to blush at hearing compliments which I know are not deserved – and yet to correct the impression would do no good.  I want to get to be far wiser and better than persons imagine – to surpass the ideal of the vulgar mind, and attain to heights to which they are wholly ignorant.  All that I may enjoy truth, and realize the inadequacy of my finite mind to grasp it in its entirety.  I shall then be humble.

As you make your way through the labyrinth, I hope you will keep these words in mind and build a good foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment