Friday, April 10, 2015

The Plot Thickens



Dear Boo and Bubble,

It’s been a bit since I last wrote to you. Much of the time was consumed with a wonderful visit with you at Easter - which is certainly more satisfying than blogging or FaceTiming. I’ve finally vacuumed up the last piece of Easter grass from the carpet and found what I think to be the last surreptitious plastic egg under the couch in the living room.  With the aftermath tucked away, I can now sit in my recliner and catch up on things. 

Ahhhhhhhh……..The Masters.  What a great way to unwind.

You boys are probably too young right now to understand the significance of The Masters golf tournament, but if you stick around with me long enough, you will.  It’s the first of four major tournaments in every year.  What makes a major?  Several things – the history, the prestige, the prize money – oh, and, especially in the case of The Masters – the difficulty in getting tickets.

Augusta National Golf Club hosts the tournament, which makes it unique in the majors, being the only one played each year on the same course.  The hallowed grounds were designed by legendary golfer Bobby Jones and Alister MacKenzie and opened for play in January 1933. The Masters began the following year.

As one of the most famous golf clubs in the world, Augusta National’s membership policies are very exclusive and private – sometimes landing them in the crosshairs of societal progress – but, that’s a topic for another time.   Of all the policies, however, the one that both fascinates and frustrates most is the dispensation of Masters tickets. Some are lucky enough to have earned legacy tickets long ago, before access to the tournament became such a feeding frenzy for spectators hoping to get inside the gates.  For the most part, the general public is relegated to the luck of a lottery system or the whim of a scalper.  It is quite remarkable what some will pay and the extremes to which they will go to obtain tickets.

Even within the club itself, the rules can wreak havoc.  Apparently, tickets come with a membership, but when the member dies, the membership (and the access to tickets) reverts back to the club.  It can not be inherited.  The first time I was fortunate to go to The Masters, I witnessed firsthand both the dilemma and the desperation this policy can cause.

I don’t remember the year, but a co-worker of mine had two tickets for the Friday round and she couldn’t go.  When she offered them to me for free, I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  It didn’t matter if I had to take a sick day or, better yet, get fired……I was headed to The Masters.

Captain and I struck out early on that morning for the hour’s drive from Columbia, SC, to Augusta, GA.  The tournament is always held the second weekend of April, a time when the azaleas and dogwoods are usually in full bloom.  This time was no different.  We walked through the gate into a wonderland of pristinely groomed fairways and greens encompassed by tall Georgia pines hovering over ancient beds of lush Formosa azaleas, their deep fuchsia blossoms in full array.  The white cross petals of the dogwoods dotted the landscape. Above, a luminous blue, cloudless sky framed the whole scene.

We decided to take our folding chairs and set up near the green of the 15th hole, a 530 yard, par-5 known as Firethorn, that sweeps from the tee into a dogleg left, down an incline to the green guarded by water all along the front.  It’s a good vantage spectator vantage point, because you can see the players’ shots into the green.  Many of them try to make it there in two strokes to position themselves for an eagle.  In doing so, however, they run the risk of landing in the water.  There’s also the added benefit that you can see the tee box for number 16, the 170 yard, par-3 hole named Redbud.

As the day unfolded, the crowd around us grew.  Two ladies set up chairs directly behind us and it wasn’t long after they settled themselves that they began discussing an apparent imminent family crisis over the subject of future Masters tickets.  (I swear this is exactly how it went.)

“You know, mom turns 85 her next birthday.”

“I KNOW……..we’re going to have to figure something out soon.  This is always the one time every year we can all get together and when mom goes, we won’t be able to do that anymore.”

“Well, have you come up with any ideas?”

“I’ve certainly been thinking about it….and this may sound a little far-fetched, but what if, when mom dies, we don’t tell anybody. Then, we have her body taxidermied and hire somebody to drive her around Augusta every now and then so people will see her.”

“Geez…..I don’t know…..if we were ever found out, we could be in real trouble.”

“Do you have a better idea?”

“Well……..do you know that friend of mom’s, John Traxler, the old bachelor who’s been a member at Augusta National about as long as our folks?”

“Yes.”

“I was thinking…..what if we get him to marry my two-year-old granddaughter Macie.  Then she would technically become a member as his wife and when he died, she would still be a member and have access to the tickets.  Which means we would be set for life.”

I couldn’t help but overhear the conversation, so I turned around and asked them if they were joking.  They both looked at me straight in the eye, not a hint of a smile on their lips, like I was the crazed one.

“We’re dead serious.”

I’ve always feared for little Macie and hoped that Mr. Traxler refused the offer.  But, then again, he might have seen the rationale.  It was, after all, Masters tickets they were talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment