Sunday, July 26, 2015

More Important Than I



Dear Boo and Bubble,

What a harrowing series of events since I last wrote to you!  We came very close to losing Captain and now that the dust has settled somewhat, several perspectives are starting to come into focus.  First of all, I am grateful that he has maintained a physical regimen over the years that meant he was strong enough to withstand the clot passing through his heart and into his lungs.  Secondly, I am equally grateful for the amazing team of doctors and nurses who took care of him in the hospital.  Most importantly, I am grateful for the fact that he and I have more time together……and that you have more time with him to know who he is and learn from him all of the things that he wants to teach you. 

One thing that has become crystal clear is that I need to continue to be deliberate with The Bridge Project, in telling you the stories our families have accumulated over the years.  You may not understand it or appreciate it now, but as you get older, I think you will….especially after we are gone.

So, I want to pick up where I left off in telling you about Captain's legislative career.

As I mentioned before, with Governor Riley’s re-election, the agenda for the 1984 – 86 term centered around the revamping of South Carolina’s public educational system.  The Governor had learned a lot from the previous four years, mainly that the one penny increase in the 4-cent sales tax needed to fund his prescribed initiatives would never be embraced by a majority of the representatives unless they felt their constituents would allow them to vote for it.  This meant redirecting his lobbying efforts away from specific legislators towards the general populace. 

What ultimately took form as The Education Improvement Act began with teachers, administrators, involved citizens, government officials and students spending hours of time looking at every aspect of education in the state – from teacher certification and evaluation; to programs for lower and upper level students; to curricula; to class size; to expenditures per pupil; to parental involvement.  If it had anything to do with public education, these dedicated people evaluated it. 

Once the specifics of the Act began to take shape, the next step was to publicize the various concepts so that enough people would see their benefit and begin a grass roots swell of support.   The Governor’s office orchestrated town hall meetings all over the state where the details of his proposals could be explained.  As the representative for Cherokee County, Captain was very active in setting up meetings in our area.

Still, with all of this effort, there was a great deal of resistance due to the increase in tax required for funding.  Governor Riley knew that he would have to be very organized in both the House of Representatives and the Senate to garner majority votes in both bodies for passage of the Act.  Early on in the first year of Captain’s term, the Governor called for a meeting at the state mansion of a few select legislators whom he would appoint as floor leaders to manage the process of getting it enacted.  Even though he was just a freshman, Captain was one of those called.

Captain invited me to ride down with him to Columbia that day, not to attend the meeting, but to keep him company.  For the several hours that Governor Riley talked with his select few, I roamed around the “big city,” shopping and enjoying myself.  Captain asked me to be back at the Governor’s Mansion around 5:00 PM.  I drove up a little early and Tunky, the Governor’s wife, invited me in to visit with her until the meeting adjourned. 

I’ll never forget our ride back to Gaffney that evening.  Captain was pensive for the first part of the trip and I began to probe him about what had gone on.

“Well,” he said, “the Governor has asked me to be one of the floor leaders for the Education Improvement Act.”

“What did you tell him?”  I asked.

“Of course…..I told him I would,” Captain remarked. “But, you know what that means, don’t you?”

“Well, it certainly means you’re doing the right thing.”  After all, your mom and Aunt Bee were in public schools and we certainly wanted the very best for them.

“It means I won’t get re-elected.” 

The concept hung heavily between us as we drove along in silence for a while.

Then, as if almost talking to himself, Captain uttered these words…..”But, what a small price to pay if we can get it done.”

Whenever I remember these words, I am convinced all over again that Captain was a true public servant.  He never saw his election to office as a stepping stone to some personal gain or as a beginning without an end.  He saw it as an opportunity to make a difference, to do something about problems that needed to be solved and, if the chips fell against him in the process, at least he would have accomplished something.

Sometimes, in the midst of political campaigns that seem to be fueled by unfathomable amounts of money, and fraught with negativism and no commitment beyond re-election, I yearn for such an honorable soldier to come along.  In 1985, there were quite a few just like Captain and the Education Improvement Act became law.

As to what happened…..I’ll leave for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment