Dear Boo and Bubble,
So many times I think I just might have run out of stories
to tell you, and then something crops up to trigger another memory – like this
quote a friend shared with me the other day.
“You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker
than you can convince one man with logic.”
Robert A. Heinlein
When I first read it, my inclination was to say “amen” and
project its meaning onto others and the current situations they create. But, my own conscience nagged me ….quite
persistently nagged me……to the point of needing to confess to you that I, too,
have fallen victim from my own prejudice and had a rather rude awakening when
confronted with the facts.
The year was 1970, my first year out of college and teaching
11th grade American History at Eastside High School in Greenville
County. I explained to you in my post of
March 9, 2015, entitled “Separate, But Not
Equal,” it had been a tumultuous time for the educational system. The January court-ordered integration of the schools
in the district had uprooted faculty and students, creating uncertainty and
confusion all over the county as they reconvened for the new academic year
beginning in the fall. As I wrote in
that post:
“It would be the first
full year of integration and Eastside became sort of an oasis in the chaos
swirling around the entire school district. Because it was new, every student
there had been uprooted. There were no school colors or mascots already
established. The yearbook had no name. All of the athletic teams started from
scratch. In other words, it was a clean slate on which the black and white
students could write their joint destiny.”
Likewise, the faculty gelled into a cohesive unit. Young, old, black white – all sought to
establish a strong foundation on which Eastside could build. This isn’t to say
that there were never any lively discussions in the teachers’ lounge about the
circumstances that affected us. To the
contrary, many a day found us expounding on our own personal perspectives, bearing
our feelings quite openly. But, let me
get back to my story, although this fact plays a part in it.
My classroom was in the middle of a three-class
grouping. It had portable walls on
either side, provided for the purpose of occasional team teaching. Ben Knighton, the head of the History
Department, held his class next to mine.
This was most unfortunate for him because on Monday’s, my running
assignment allowed students to bring their records which we would play -
provided the lyrics had some social relevance to current events. Much of the
music reflected the times – the Vietnam War, the Civil Rights Movement, the
assassinations of American leaders. After listening to a song, we discussed the
meaning of the words. A great teaching
tool for me, but quite an annoyance for Mr. Knighton because the portable walls
provided no insulation from the sound. (They were flimsy and ill- constructed
and by the end of the year had come unhinged.
Perhaps a great concept gone awry!)
I will never forget that Monday morning when, right in the
middle of a bellicose chorus of “WAR!” by Edwin Starr, someone knocked on my
door. Leaving the record playing, I went
to open it and there stood a very pleasant, yet plain looking young lady who
introduced herself as Mr. Knighton’s student teacher……..from Bob Jones
University!
Boys, you would have no reason to know this, but in the
genealogical tree of right-wing fundamentalism, Bob Jones, Senior, is the tap
root. Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson
pale in comparison in their impact on ultra-conservative influences today. Had the original Jones had access to 24-hour
cable, FaceBook, Twitter and other social media available today, I’d hate to
think how far-reaching his shadow might be over our cultural landscape.
As a moderately liberal citizen of Greenville who loathed
the unsolicited, bold approaches of Jonesers on Main Street asking me if “I’d
been saved,” my perspective of anyone associated with the institution of Bob
Jones University was that of narrow-mindedness and bigotry. This was true particularly at this time with
the upheaval of forced integration.
Daily diatribes emanated from behind the rifle-guarded gates of the
university’s campus on Wade Hampton Boulevard, quoting verse after verse from
the Bible as to how God intended us to be separate and that blacks were
inferior and the whole Civil Rights Movement was a communist inspired plot
spawn straight from Satan himself……not to mention the moral decay of our
society as indicated by the lyrics of modern day music.
The meek, unthreatening presence of this young lady at my
classroom door immediately sent shudders down my spine and raised the hackles
on the back of my neck. Within a
nano-second, I had her sized up, catalogued and categorized - not to mention
that I nearly broke my neck getting back to the record player to screech Edwin
Watts to a halt. Actually, she wasn’t
there to convert me, or to complain about the music. Mr. Knighton had sent her over to get me to
sign a form notifying me of a History Department meeting later in the week.
I didn’t have much occasion to be around her. Part of that was my instinctive avoidance of
anything Bob Jones. Every now and then,
she would show up in the faculty lounge while I was there. She never said anything, perhaps out of
respect for her place as a student teacher, but she listened intently as
regular faculty discussed and debated the issues of the day.
On one occasion, after some comment I had made (which
totally escapes me now), she spoke up.
“Have you ever read the book The
Nature of Prejudice by Gordon Allport?”
“No, I haven’t,” I replied, a shroud of suspicion overtaking
me.
“Well, I have it and will bring it to you tomorrow. I think you’ll find it very interesting.”
“I bet I will,” I
thought to myself, assuming that it must be some ideological dogma promoted by
Bob Jones. “Sure, that would be
fine. I’ll look forward to reading it,”
I lied.
She brought the book to me the next day and I began reading it
during my study hall. In preparation of
our discussion, I even prepped a pen and paper to make notes on the points with
which I disagreed. Allport began with
the premise that prejudice is a natural by-product of life and used fried
chicken as an example – one would naturally be prejudiced towards a mother’s
fried chicken rather than someone else’s because that is what he knows. As humans, we favor those things that we
know. It would be unnatural otherwise. The more I read, the more I agreed with what
he said. But, how could that be? How could I possibly be in agreement when
this book…….this epistle of evil….came to me by way of a student at Bob Jones
University?
Over the duration of her tenure, we engaged in very deep
discussions and I came to know her for who she was, not my pre-conceived
notion. She was an extremely bright
woman whose father was on the faculty of Bob Jones University, thus she could
attend there for free. As she explained
to me, this was the only way she could afford to go to college. She further told me that she could hardly
wait to graduate and leave.
Acknowledging that she could never intellectually accept the official
doctrines of her father and the Bob Jones community, she confessed her
intention to get as far away as possible from the oppression under which she
lived. Until then, though, she must lay
low and walk the prescribed path to her degree.
I asked her if her father knew she had Allport’s book. He did not.
The last time I saw her was late in the spring of that
year. Mr. Knighton called a planning
meeting of the History Department faculty to determine the future curriculum. He graciously invited us to his home for a
more social affair, rather than have the meeting at school. As a student teacher, she was included and I
suggested that she could ride with me since I lived close to the campus of Bob
Jones. She agreed and gave me
instructions to come to the main gate where she would meet me….that it would be
impossible for me to actually come on campus to her home.
When I pulled up, she raced to the car and opened the passenger
door quickly. Unfettered tears rolled
down her face and she buried her head in her hands. I reached over to console her.
“Go! Please just go!”
she urged; and I wheeled the car around and drove onto Wade Hampton Blvd.
“What in the world is wrong?” I asked.
“I can’t wait to get out of there,” she sobbed.
“What happened?”
“My father accused me of going to a Communist meeting to set
up a program of Satanic studies that will ruin the minds of our children.”
There was nothing I could say in response to that. We drove along in silence.
In recollecting all of this, I am reminded that we were only
a year apart in age…..she, being a Senior and I in my first year out of
college. With the truth of her being,
she personally pierced through my shield of stereotypical prejudice and taught
me a very valuable lesson. I would give
anything to remember her name and find out where she is today. I sincerely hope she realized every ounce of
her dreams for freedom of expression and thought.
(Originally written in 1954, The Nature of Prejudice has had several editions since
then. If I remember correctly, Allport
purports that prejudices occur from familiarity, but can become a negative
force when logic is denied. I think I
need to read it again…..just for old times sake.)
No comments:
Post a Comment