Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Feather



Dear Boo and Bubble,

Both of your great grandfathers, Schaefer and Cottrell, were very successful in their chosen fields – law and insurance.  No doubt, part of the reason is that they were good at what they did, but I am going to suggest that another element played a major part.  They both exhibited and maintained a strong commitment to integrity throughout their lives.  If I were to categorize the most important qualities a person can have, integrity, by its mere definition, would have to be at the top. 

Adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.”

Think about it.  How significant is that others respect you and, most of all, can believe what you say?  And, conversely, how damaging can it be when your words and actions erode your integrity to the point that no one can take you seriously.

Both Schaefer and Cottrell were Rotarians.  The Rotary Club is an international service organization that draws leaders from communities worldwide into its membership in an effort to make those communities stronger and better for all.  As members, Rotarians use what is called the Four-Way Test of the things they think, say or do as a moral code in their personal and business relationships.  The test actually originated with a man named Herbert Taylor in the 1930’s, but was later adopted by Rotary International as a part of its creed. It’s very simple and goes like this:

Whenever faced with a decision or action in your dealings with others, ask these four questions of yourself.  If you can answer “yes,” then what you are about to do will create the positive outcome you seek.

1.       Is it the truth?
2.      Is it fair to all concerned?
3.      Will it build good will and better friendships?
4.      Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

We all live in a world overstimulated by 24-hour news channels, the internet, and social media – even Meemaw participates regularly on FaceBook. As wonderful as it is to have information at our fingertips all the time, I would caution you that this environment is rife with opportunity to circulate false information about people and situations. Sometimes I see postings and really think that if the person had just measured the content against the Four-Way Test, they might have considered not putting it up for publication under their name.

The even deeper consideration here is how should someone respond when they know something being set out as the truth actually isn’t……..or, in other words…….lacks integrity.  If we do or say nothing, do we in fact become complicit in the very spread of the untruth until it gains such momentum that there is no stopping it?  In answer to this question, I would like to share a fable with you to illustrate the consequence of fostering falsehoods, or repeating stories before properly vetting their voracity. 

There once was a man who, having learned that he had spread a false rumor, sought the advice of a wise man.

“Why do you seek my help?” the wise man asked.

“Because I heard someone say something bad about a person I know…. and I took it to be the truth without further investigation….. and I began telling those that I saw…..and now, I am sorry to learn that what I repeated had no merit.  I am here to ask what can I do to make the situation right.”

The wise man pondered for a second and then instructed the man to go find a feather pillow and tear it apart.  Upon doing so, he was to take a feather and put it on the doorstep of each person to whom he had spoken this untruth.  After completing the task, he was to report back to the wise man.

With great fervor, the man did as he was told, trying to remember everybody with whom he had spoken, not wanting to miss a single one.  When he was finished, he came back to the wise man.

“I have done what you said.”

“Good,” the wise man responded.  “Now, go back and pick up all of the feathers and bring them to me.”

The man left in haste and retraced his steps. Alas, he could not find a single feather.  They had all been blown asunder by the wind.  He returned to the wise man in dejection.

“I could not retrieve any of the feathers,” he sadly admitted to the wise man.

“I know……and, just like the feathers, your words are scattered to places that you will never know and you can never take them back.”

 And, so, boys….whenever you find yourselves in the situation of deciding to pass along information either verbally or on social media that you get from others…..remember the Four-Way Test and the feather.  If you do, I think your integrity will stay intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment