Friday, January 17, 2020

Our Common Body

Dear Boo and Bubble,

I imagine the worst thing that could ever be said about a person is “I just don’t know about him.” The observation is pretty straight forward…the observer has doubts about the observed…and I rather imagine in most cases these misgivings have something to do with veracity, which is a high-dollar word for “truth”—defined by Merriam Webster as the body of real things, events and facts (i.e.: actuality). Presumably, for someone to come to this conclusion about another, they must perceive a lack of genuineness or authenticity…and nine times out of ten you can bet the root cause for this perception is a lack of truthfulness.

The importance of telling the truth cannot be overstated, whether on a personal level or in general society. Our natural instincts predispose us to rely on the words and representations of others until given a reason to do otherwise. Unfortunately, when the scales of judgment tip in favor of doubt, there is rarely a path back to a state of confidence. Trust is lost and skepticism sets in.

Spencer Johnson, author of the book Who Moved My Cheese, is quoted as saying, “Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people.” As denigrating as the lack of integrity and honesty can be on the individual, the structure of an orderly society suffers exponentially when such a negative impact is visited upon it.

If you analogize our nation to the human body, our laws comprise the skeleton or framework with truth supplying the muscle and our collective conscience beating as the heart. We must be forever vigilant regarding the bones of our society…our laws. There must be no chipping away at the periosteum or decaying of the marrow. They must be strong and indestructible because if we forego conscience and truth, they are all that is left to protect us and hold our society accountable. We must abide by our laws and no one should be above them…even those whom we love and admire and are viewed as good people.

Years ago, a distant cousin of ours, who was a very prominent citizen of Greenville SC and a vice-president for one of the local banks, had to go to prison because he was convicted of embezzling money from the bank. I have no recollection of the details of his crime nor the circumstances surrounding his need to commit it, but I do remember Granddaddy Schaefer taking our family to his house after the verdict came down from the jury to offer support and condolences. The throngs of people who congregated there were a testament to his stature in the community even though the atmosphere mirrored that of a wake. I suspect the question floated across my mind at the time as to why someone who had contributed good works would suffer such a fate, even if guilty. (Maybe Ephesians 2:8-9 might offer a clue: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.) Perhaps at some point for some overpowering reason, he lost his truth and conscience…and there was nothing left but the law to make it right again for himself and society.

Boys, I hope and pray that you will always stay true to yourselves. That you will honor internally and transmit to others your integrity and honesty…even when it’s hard and uncomfortable to do so. That no one will ever have reason to say, “I just don’t know about him.” If you do this, you will make a generous donation to the health of our common body—the law, the truth, the conscience


`````````````````
Postscript - After reading this blog, my good friend of many years Steve McCammon sent me a poem that is so apropos I wanted to add it for posterity. It's by Albert A Guest and entitled Myself.


I have to live with myself and so
I want to be fit for myself to know.
I want to be able as days go by,
always to look myself straight in the eye;
I don't want to stand with the setting sun
and hate myself for the things I have done.
I don't want to keep on a closet shelf
a lot of secrets about myself
and fool myself as I come and go
into thinking no one else will ever know
the kind of person I really am,
I don't want to dress up myself in sham.
I want to go out with my head erect
I want to deserve all men's respect;
but here in the struggle for fame and wealth
I want to be able to like myself.
I don't want to look at myself and know that
I am bluster and bluff and empty show.
I never can hide myself from me;
I see what others may never see;
I know what others may never know,
I never can fool myself and so,
whatever happens I want to be
self-respecting and conscience free.

No comments:

Post a Comment