Dear Boo and Bubble,
We had the good
fortune night before last to catch Lyle Lovett’s concert at the Schaefer Center
for Performing Arts on the campus of Appalachian State University. Our first
introduction to him was over twenty years ago when your Aunt Bee was a soloist
with The Boston Ballet. One of their programs was set to several of his songs…quite
an incongruity in that these classically trained ballet dancers performed to
such titles as She’s No Lady…She’s My Wife, Ugly from the Front, and She’s
Hot to Go. We became fans of his music then but had sort of lost track and
were delighted to learn he would be performing so close by.
Lovett is a native
Texan, and one who prides himself in that fact—which is pretty typical of
Texans (much like your Texas-born great grandmother Mary who never really got
over being transplanted to South Carolina…but that is a story for another day).
He has circulated for years in the upper echelon of country music talent as
both a singer and song writer. For the most part, his lyrics fall under the
“tongue in cheek” category but some provoke more nuanced attention, especially
with the benefit of explanation as to their origins. Seeing him live gave us
the opportunity to hear many personal anecdotes about his life and to learn of
the influences that molded him…and his words…over the years.
He talked about
growing up near Houston and shared how much his family—both immediate and
extended—meant to him. Music became a passion at an early age but his parents,
while not discouraging the pursuit of it, still insisted on a “plan B” which
led him to Texas A&M where he majored in Journalism and German. While
reminiscing about his folks, Lovett made what I thought to be a very loving tribute.
“My parents did
everything they had to do in order that I could do whatever I wanted
to do.”
This profession struck
me immediately as noteworthy, but the longer I sat with these simple words, the
more profound they became. Perhaps it was the setting—a sixty-something-year-old
man, singularly spotlighted on a stage. musing out loud to an audience of some 2500
perfect strangers about the gratitude he feels for the sacrifices made on his
behalf. Even though Lovett fully confessed he came to this realization as most
of us do…in retrospective deference as adults…his words were no less sincere.
It is a universal tenet. The purpose of parenting should always be for the
betterment of the child. And the stronger the trampoline, the higher the flight.
I am reminded of a
similar homage your great granddaddy Schaefer paid in one of his editorials for
The Greenville News back in October of 1993. (It was entitled “Lessons
of Great Depression Remain Important” and I’ve previously blogged about the
thoughts he conveyed at that time but in a different context.) If Lyle Lovett
were to read these words, I think he’d completely relate to this segment of great
granddaddy’s desires for his lineage.
“I want them to know
my widowed mother made enormous sacrifices in order for me to attend college
and law school. That these sacrifices were made willingly, eagerly
and tenderly, out of a heart as big as a child’s imagination and out of unconditional
love that redeemed me more than once.
I want them to know
when I received my law degree on June 1, 1939, at the football field of USC in
Columbia, with the thermometer hovering at 100, my mother and grandmother were
in the stands receiving that diploma with me which the three of us had earned.”
No comments:
Post a Comment