Thursday, May 23, 2013

Lesson in Humility #1



Dear Boo and Bubble,

Your genetic cauldron should come with a disclaimer.  There’s no doubt you’re endowed with plenty of personality – the list of characters in your lineage is endless.  Obviously, you’re plenty intelligent – only have to go back one generation to figure that out.  The curiosity gene has already surfaced in your young lives – especially when it comes to finding small objects lying on the floor, an occurrence which triggers frantic counter measures to get to you before the object finds its way into your mouth.  At some point later on, the genes of empathy, compassion, frolic, and adventure will surface – all noble indicators of an anticipated full life.

But, if history repeats itself (as it inexorably does), you will suffer a deficiency in one very important gene – humility. I’m not sure when the humility gene began to peter out in the Bryant clan.  No doubt by the time the Schaefer Kendrick family unit formed, it had pretty much run its course.

Some say humility is a virtue.  Not ever having had any, I can’t be the judge of that.  All I know is that without it, you are defenseless against the temptation of self-promotion, the urge for braggadocio, and the bottomless pit of want for recognition.  (I must confess that when I post to this blog, I wait in eager anticipation to see if anyone comments.  When someone does, you’d think it was Christmas around here!)

As your great uncle Gene grew up, he had a particularly hard time with humility deficiency.  Whenever he did something noteworthy in his opinion, he made sure everybody knew about it.  At first, granddaddy Schaefer and Mamaw Mary thought it was a phase, something he’d outgrow over time.  By middle school, however, it became apparent that this was not the case, so granddaddy decided to have an earnest conversation with Gene.

“Son,” he said, “It’s really great that you are doing so many good things.  And, we’re very proud of you.  But, it’s so much better if you let people realize this on their own.”

“Okay,” Gene replied.

“Do you understand what I’m saying?”

“I think so.”

“Yes, it’s good to let others brag on you rather than bragging on yourself, don’t you think?”

“Uh, sure. Yeah, you’re right.”

The talk ended with granddaddy feeling confident his point had been made.

Several weeks later, granddaddy went to the YMCA to pick Gene up from football practice.  He stood on the sidelines watching the players complete their drills.  A good friend named Judd Farr came up beside him and the two men chatted amicably waiting for the practice to end. The session finished and Gene, in shoulder pads and carrying his helmet, trotted over to granddaddy and Judd.

“Son,” granddaddy spoke, “I’d like you to meet my good friend, Judd Farr.’

Gene confidently stuck out his hand for a shake.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Gene,” Judd said.

“Thank you,” Gene responded.

“Looks like you had a good practice.  What position do you play?”

This simple question from Judd created an unexpected dilemma for Gene.  He hung his head slightly as he hemmed and hawed, digging an arc in the dirt with his cleats.  Finally, he looked up.

“Oh, Mr. Farr, it’s nothing very important……only first string quarterback.”

No comments:

Post a Comment