Sunday, May 26, 2013

Lesson in Humility #2



Dear Boo and Bubble,

Years ago, a man named Don Rose served as Associate Pastor at First Baptist.  As I recall, he was a stately man with wavy, grey hair who presented quite a presence in the pulpit.  He also had a quick wit that surfaced in both sermon and conversation.

One Sunday, he preached a resounding message about how Jesus set the example for humility – how we should do good works for the sake of them and not for the hope of glory from others to be showered upon us.  After the service, we filed out of the sanctuary where Don greeted members of the congregation in the vestibule.

Your great granddaddy Schaefer approached him with a hand thrust forward for a handshake.

“Don,” he said, “I thought you delivered a very interesting sermon this morning, but it really bothered me.”

“How’s that, Schaefer?”

“Well, honestly, when I do something worthwhile, I really want people to know about it.  I want them to thank me and acknowledge it.”

The twinkle in Don’s eye could not be ignored.  He knew his congregant well, a true pillar of the community.  He also knew the spirit in which the comment came.

“Okay, Schaefer, here’s a deal.  If you EVER do anything worthwhile, we’ll be sure to tell everybody.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment