Dear Boo and Bubble,
A year out of college, I entered the field of real estate
sales. It’s not unusual for a woman to
sell houses today, but back then……hate to think of how many years ago…it was
almost unheard of. My forward-thinking,
open-minded, welcoming mentor was a man named C. Dan Joyner, who passed away
last year. I will always be indebted to
Dan for starting me on a career path that lasted intermittently over 30 years.
I openly admit this was back in the dark ages – no
computers, no internet, no Fax’s, no wire transfers, no secondary market, no
RESPA. Local Savings and Loans generated
the mortgages and collected payments. Women
had to renounce their dower rights. A
three-day right of rescission had to pass before money could be dispersed.
Even though some of the rules were arcane and the process
seemed tedious, in many ways I think it actually worked better. Loan applications reliably landed on the desk
of someone who knew the community and its people. A local loan committee made decisions on the
viability of a borrower, not some anonymous wizard behind a green curtain in a
far off land called Oz who insisted on sanitized credit ratings and impeccable
appraisals.
As luck would have it, great granddaddy Schaefer
incorporated real estate closings in his panoply of legal services and I used
him for all of my transaction. I never
achieved the Million Dollar Club, but my sales production met the financial
needs of a twenty-something single woman and it kept granddaddy busy on my
behalf.
On an occasion, I was working with a young Political Science
professor at Furman, Don Aeisi, and his wife Margaret. They were expecting their first child and
wanted a larger home to accommodate a growing family. When we started our house search, Margaret was
around seven months pregnant. After a
couple of futile weeks in the existing home market, which was by far their
obvious preference, I convinced them to look at new construction.
In the late 1950’s, Furman moved from downtown Greenville to
a more modern, expanded campus off of Highway 25 towards Travelers Rest. The area became a magnet for growth out from
Greenville. Builders profited from the
numerous subdivisions developed within a few miles of the university grounds
and we had plenty of selection from which to choose. Don and Margaret opted for a three bedroom,
tri-level about six weeks from completion.
We wrote the contract and the builder accepted - setting in motion a
chain of events that ended in one of the funniest scenes I’ve ever witnessed.
As was my job, I monitored the progress of the Aeisi loan
and periodically checked on the finishing touches to the house. Don resumed his teaching schedule and
Margaret, growing all the while, began preparing for moving and having a baby
back to back. There were minor glitches
that delayed things a bit, but nothing major.
It looked like we would make it just under the wire.
Granddaddy Schaefer received the loan package, set the
closing and prepared all the paperwork to reflect the agreed upon date. The night before the settlement, Don called
me to say that Margaret had gone into labor and they were on the way to the
hospital. After registering my
excitement and good wishes and asking to be kept informed, I immediately called
Granddaddy.
When someone responds “uh oh,” it’s never good. Such was Granddaddy’s instant reaction.
“Looks like we have a problem,” he said.
“Why?”
“Well, the papers are already dated according to the bank’s
instructions. If Margaret can’t sign her
part and renounce her dower rights tomorrow, then we’ll have to change
everything which holds up the disbursement of the funds due to the 3-day right
of rescission and the builder won’t get his money and they won’t be able to
move in when they had planned.”
He rattled this off just like a lawyer.
What became obvious to us both was that Margaret would be in
no position to come to the closing.
Having a baby in those days meant an extended stay in the hospital. On top of that, restrictions on who could
come into the maternity ward were severe.
When the babies were out of the nursery, not even the fathers could be
present. This presented a real dilemma.
“Let me think about this,” Granddaddy pondered. “I’ll call you in the morning when we know
that the baby is here safe and sound.”
The baby came in the middle of the night and all was well
with that. Granddaddy phoned me and
instructed me to come to his office right after lunch. He had a plan on how to get the papers signed
so that the loan could close as planned.
I met him at the office.
“Come with me,” he said, holding a folder full of mortgage
and related documents under his arm.
We got in his car and headed to the hospital.
“We have two problems,” he continued. “First the papers have
to be signed today and the only way to accomplish that is to take them to
Margaret. Which presents the second
problem…..they won’t let me on the floor because I am not a member of her
immediate family.”
“But, surely in a case like this…..” I suggested. “Couldn’t you just explain the situation.”
“No. Trust me, the
hospital is very strict on these matters.”
“So, what is your plan?” I asked with a little skepticism.
“Well, I’m going to pretend to be Margaret’s father.”
“What? Are you
kidding me? That’s insane.”
Granddaddy turned his penetrating blue eyes to me. He was dead serious.
“I’ve thought about this through and it’s our best
option. All I want you to do is go find
a seat in the lobby and wait. I’ll go up
to the reception desk by myself.”
“Okay. If you say
so.”
We arrived at the hospital. I split off from Granddaddy as
we came into the lobby and found a seat across from the receptionist. Here is what I witnessed.
Granddaddy approached the desk. The lady sitting there looked up, smiled, and
asked how she might help him. Granddaddy
began his shenanigan. His hands waved in
the air to press the importance of what he was saying. This went on for a minute or two when all of
a sudden Granddaddy’s shoulders slumped and he put his head into his hand. A solid blush of embarrassment crept up the
back of his neck. The two of them burst
out laughing. Obviously, his plot had
failed.
Here’s what actually happened.
“Hello, can I help you?”
“Yes. My daughter,
Margaret Aeisi, just gave birth to my very first grandchild and I’ve driven all
night to get here to seem them both.”
“Oh, Really. Well
that’s very nice. Congratulations.”
“Yes, so if you could tell me her room number, I’d really
appreciate it.”
“Certainly. But I
need to ask you one question before I do.
What was Margaret’s maiden name…..before she became Aiesi?”
Granddaddy stared back at the lady. His shoulders slumped as he realized he had
no idea what Margaret’s maiden name was – which, of course, would have been his
name as well. He put his head into his hand.
“Schaefer Kendrick – WHO are you trying to fool?!?”
The lady had known who he was from the get-go. When Granddaddy started his tall tail, she
just let him run with it to see where he went.
He ended up in the middle of his own woven web with a very red
face. The story ended well, though. Without any problem, Granddaddy made it to
the maternity ward and Margaret signed the papers.
But, there’s a moral here, boys. No matter what how noble the reason, a lie
will trip you up every time!
No comments:
Post a Comment