Dear Boo and Bubble,
Having a car and being able to go where you want to go
whenever you want creates autonomy in all of us, but especially in older people
who find themselves giving up little freedoms with every turn of the
calendar. In many ways, Mattie having a
car gave us all some liberty. Her
schedule never imposed on ours and, at 80 years of age, she loved doing things
like driving out to the nursing home to play the piano or melodica for “those
old people.” There were drawbacks,
however.
Mamaw Mary never warmed to the idea of Mattie driving. It went beyond the fact that her VW suffered
a fatal, crushing blow beneath the goalpost in the back. She worried about accidents and injuries to
other people. Every time Mattie pulled
out of the driveway, Mamaw fretted and, I’m sure, said a prayer for everyone’s
safety.
Your great uncles and I were forbidden to ride with Mattie
and I found myself in real hot water one Sunday for accepting a lift home from
church. You could cut the tension with a
knife when she came upstairs into the kitchen for a family visit. The situation gained such critical mass,
Mamaw Mary left the room whenever that happened. I felt really sorry for Granddaddy
Schaefer. He was caught between the
proverbial “rock and a hard place” – the rock, his mother – the hard place, his
wife. The situation, of course, was totally contrary to our normal family
interactions which usually incorporated lots of love and laughter around the
kitchen table.
It all came to a critical head with a phone call from one of
Mattie’s friends to Granddaddy. The
night before, she joined Mattie for a concert at First Baptist Church in
downtown Greenville. The concert ran
over and it was well past 9:00 PM at the conclusion. The friend offered to follow Mattie home to
make sure she made it safely, a trip of no more than fifteen minutes. For over an hour, the friend tracked Mattie’s
course as she turned first right then left and back again, heading in opposite
directions on a route that made no sense except to a confused mind searching
for some sign of familiarity. The friend
alerted Granddaddy out of a real sense of concern.
The incident proved to be our first insight into the start
of dementia’s slow overtake of Mattie’s vibrant, fertile brain. Granddaddy enlisted great, great Aunt
Katherine’s help in dealing with the sad dilemma. In what surely was the toughest and most
painful act of love, they wrested the car keys and license away from Mattie and
forbid her to drive anymore.
Taking away one’s car keys signifies an indignity akin to a
slap in the face. The gesture broadcasts
that you can no longer be trusted, that you are a danger to others, that you
are now on the slope of isolation that you fear the most in aging. Inevitably, the bastion of the car keys
always becomes that last battleground for independence between an elderly
parent and adult child.
In telling you this tale, you might think that I’m merely
pointing out that nothing lasts forever, or that all good things come to an end
somehow, or that all of life is not rosy.
But I have a more personal reason.
I have an overdose of Mattie’s genes, so my mind may go the way of
hers. Many years into the future, when
your mom and Aunt Bee are making hard decisions on my behalf and I’m fighting
them every step of the way, understand that they are doing so out of great love
and respect for me. I won’t recognize it then, but I do now, and I just wanted
to go on record while all my wits are about me to reassure them that it’s okay.
This one made me cry, Beth.
ReplyDeleteAs the oldest daughter of the oldest daughter of the oldest daughter of Mittie, as I watched my mom and her sisters have to step in for their mom, Mary, and make those decisions. Her indignation and hostility were tough to take and to hear about but we ALL knew they were doing the right thing, the best thing, the necessary thing.
I remember stopping in Charlotte the last time I saw "Mom", Wayne and I were down there while my girls were at Camp Gravatt and we made a trip up to visit her in her assisted living facility in her room. I sat down on her bed and the three of us had a long conversation, complete with laughs and tears... and then she looked at me and said, "Who are you? Do you know you look just like my Melissa?". Because she had so many lucid moments here and there, it had never occurred to me through this conversation that she'd no idea. I looked at her and said, " I'm so glad I look like your Melissa because I know how very much she loves you!" We had a bit of small talk after that but Wayne and I left soon after this. For me, all I remember about that day, the last day I saw my grandmother, was how lovely and relaxed she looked, how warm she was to Wayne, and how her eyes sparkled when she talked about "my Melissa". I'm happy to have that memory of her.
Thank you for bringing that to me today!